Section for PCs and Windows?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by garirry, May 17, 2015.

1. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Honestly, I feel like there should be a section for PCs and Windows in general. There's only the "Windows and Linux on Mac" forum, but nothing specifically related to PCs in general. I sometimes want to post related to PCs but I feel bad posting in the Apple Hardware section. What do you think?

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

I'd definitely be open to this. Whilst I'm most certainly a Mac fanboy so to speak, I still do quite like my PC that I built.

With that said, is it something that other forum members would particularly care about? Are there not already some other well-established PC forums out there?

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There are exactly 1 billion* PC enthusiast forums out there you are allowed to part of those as well as here. I know a number of users here that are members of some the PC enthusiast/Linux forums I hang out in.

*Obviously an exact number ;)

4. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Don't we have a junk section :p

5. garirry thread starter macrumors 68000

garirry

What has the wasteland anything to do with PCs?

Also, I do agree that there are a lot of other forums, it's just that I'd rather stay in a place that I know and enjoy instead of going somewhere else not knowing anyone and all that.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Given that while many of us are indeed - if not quite the proverbial 'fanboys' (or fangirls) - enthusiasts and users of Apples, many of us also use PCs in our work worlds as well, or have to remain at least somewhat au fait with the world of Windows.

Anyway, that is a roundabout way of saying I would have no problem with that.

Besides, if there can be five trillion threads on the Apple Watch, its accessories, straps, dispatch, and delivery, I think it entirely reasonable to devote a small section to the operating system (and its computers) that the vast majority of the world still uses.

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Agreed. Many people who have Macs also have PCs and would want to share their creations and stuff with the MacRumors community.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The windows discussion seems to be split between two different forums and I don't think its a clean division.

The Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac forum and the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forum.

The latter being what seems to be the default location for most current windows discussion because with windows 8 and 10, you could be talking about a phone, tablet, 2 in 1 device or a full laptop.

Perhaps a dedicated forum for the windows OS and its products (phone/tablet/laptops).

With the impending transition to new forum software, no changes will be made to the structure, but I think we can improve how things are organized.

9. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Why not just rename the "Alternatives to iOS and iOS devices" forum to "Alternatives to Apple and Apple devices" and move it under the "Apple Hardware" section? Then it encompasses all non-Apple devices and operating systems, mobile or otherwise, without needing to create a new forum.

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Why move it to the "Apple Hardware" section, when it's specifically NOT "Apple Hardware"? I know I would be at least a little confused ;)

A sub-forum called "Non-Apple Hardware", maybe under the "Mac Community" section, is a good idea.

11. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Very good point. I second the idea of having a section dedicated to Windows OS. As Scepticalscribe has said "the vast majority of the world still uses" Windows, like many Apple owners.