Section numbering in Word Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Siloe, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Siloe macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I created a document with two sections - first section is the front page and second section is say 4 pages of text. The headers and footers are different in the two sections.

I want to insert page numbering in the footer of the second section in format "Page X of Y". The second page of the document - which is the first page of the second section - would say "Page 1 of 4" instead of "Page 2 of 5", as it does when I insert Auto Text.

PLEASE NOTE, that I want the number of pages in the SECTION, NOT in the DOCUMENT.

Is there any genius who can tell me how to do this apparently simple thing? I would be very grateful, because I am already going crazy after hours of trying different ways how to do this.

Thanks a lot,
    Siloe

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Did you insert a Section Break?

You didn't say. And if so, and it still doesn't work, I don't know what the problem is...

3. Siloe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did. Then I ticked "view header and footer", clicked on the footer in the section 2, set not to "link to previous" and inserted auto text "Page X of Y".

The result is that there is no auto text in section 1, which is good, but the auto text on the first page of section 2 says "Page 2 of 5", which is not good. I need to set it to "Page 1 of 4".