Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kloudydays

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
For a while a vertical section of my itouch screen was broken it would take a while of me constantly sliding the unlock key before i could get it to unlock and any buttons there would not work.
then it just started working again.
but now the problem has come back again and now i can't even press the play button!
i've already done the restore thing and lost all my music and it still doesn't work...
and the indicator is white so i don't know whats wrong with it
i'll admit there are scratches on the screen but could that make an ENTIRE part break?

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Looks like my problem with the touch screen. Dropped the ipod touch on the bathroom tiles and the bump messed up the controls to the touch sensors. I also have to slide the finger several times before the action of unlock takes. In mail I can't press some letters, in effect there is a line on the screen where the touch of the finger is not registered. Through google I found here on this site it likely to be the stated action of loose connections to the sensors to be the fault. Seems reasonable, but I have not gone to the apple store for help to locate the reason and repair it as it costs more to fix than to purchase a new one. Like you I did a restore, new download of firmware and reset with no effect just lost songs that I had to transfer to the ipod again. I have a first generation ipod touch 16GB so it has been with me for some time. It was just a matter of time before these things break anyway being on person every day.

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Looks like my problem with the touch screen. Dropped the ipod touch on the bathroom tiles and the bump messed up the controls to the touch sensors. I also have to slide the finger several times before the action of unlock takes. In mail I can't press some letters, in effect there is a line on the screen where the touch of the finger is not registered. Through google I found here on this site it likely to be the stated action of loose connections to the sensors to be the fault. Seems reasonable, but I have not gone to the apple store for help to locate the reason and repair it as it costs more to fix than to purchase a new one. Like you I did a restore, new download of firmware and reset with no effect just lost songs that I had to transfer to the ipod again. I have a first generation ipod touch 16GB so it has been with me for some time. It was just a matter of time before these things break anyway being on person every day.

Why don't you get a 3rd party to repair it for you at a fraction of the cost of an Apple repair? Or do it yourself by buying the parts off eBay.
You don't have to simply give up because it will cost too much for Apple to repair it.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
How old is the ipod? if is is less than a year, take it back to apple, and they should fix it for free. of if it is out of warranty, what size is it? it may be cheaper to but a new one, unfortunately

sk8rphilferreal

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
i got this ipod touch 2g the other day and it wont turn on. can anyone help me?

ok so i got this ipod touch the other day and i already knew it had a cracked screen and figured that it would be an easy fix. so when i got home i tried to turn it on and nothing happend, then i tried pluging it into the computer and nothing showed up on the ipod and did not connect. then i tried pluging it into a wall charger i have for my other ipod and still nothing. so after it wouldnt turn on after all of that i looked up how to tell if it has water damage and i looked in the headphone jack and half of the little sensor paper thing was reddish pink. so i guess it has water dammage other then the cracked screen and i dont know how long ago or how bad the water dammage was. if anyone has any suggestions of how i could fix it they would be greatly appriciated. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.