Sectioning videos using iMovie and iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mosey, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Mosey macrumors member

I did my first conversion of some video from Mini-DV to DVD using my new iMac yesterday. I read the "Getting Started" tutorials for iMovie and iDVD and successfully burned a DVD. It came out good in the end, but I'm not sure I did things the best way. I wanted to section the video so when I watch the DVD I can click on a "button" from the menu for whatever section I want. So, I transferred all the video from the camcorder to iMac. That was easy. Then, I went into iMovie and marked off the sections of the video I wanted as "favorites" and it put a green line above it, then I selected the option for it to only display the favorites. So, it was easy to edit out the bad parts. Then, I dragged it all from the Event Library to the Project Library. I went to Share-Media Browser and clicked on Publish. Then, I went into iDVD and was able to get the video into it. But, I couldn't get it into sections like I wanted.

So, I went back into iMovie and did a File-Duplicate Project and named it with a "-1" at the end. Then, in the Event Library I selected the first section of the video (so it had the yellow boarder around it) then dragged it to the Project Library. Then, I did a Share-Media Brower and clicked on Publish. I went back to the original and did a File-Duplicate Project and named it with a "-2" at the end, and repeated the whole thing for the next section. I did this for each section, "-3", "-4", etc. Then, I went into iDVD and was able to get the video into sections like I wanted. I renamed the "-1", "-2" stuff to what I wanted and burned the DVD.

Did I do this right or did I do this the hard way?

2. Mosey thread starter macrumors member

Someone told me that the "sections" I'm referring to are called "chapters". I did a search for chapters and the only reference I can find is in the "iMovie '08 Getting Started" document where it says "Click Import. You can also import video from a project created in iMovie HD. … All chapter markers are also lost".

I have iMovie '08 7.0 (471) and iDVD '08 7.0 (1068).

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

It was very easy with the old version of iMovie to put chapter markers, but I believe the new one does not have that feature, yet. You may need to export your movie as .mov file and add chapters using another program. "Metadata Hootenanny" should be useful. You can check out its website to get more info.

http://www.applesolutions.com/bantha/MH.html