Secure Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cimmerian, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Cimmerian macrumors newbie

Cimmerian

Hey Guys,

I switched from a pc to a mac pro for my main computer but I still have a Dell XPS M1330 laptop running Vista 64bit. Due to being a switcher, I am paranoid about security in regards to using my AirPort Extreme for a wireless connection for the laptop along with my Mac hard wired to it.

How secure is it? What should I do to make it as safe as possible and what settings do you recommend?

Thanks for your help and sorry if I sound like a crazy pc user!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

When you use the Airport Utility program on your Mac to setup your Airport Extreme, on the third screen (where you name your wireless network), you also get to pick the wireless encryption.

If you pick the WPA/WAP2 security level option, your wireless network will about as secure as it can realistically get.

3. Cimmerian thread starter macrumors newbie

Cimmerian

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Making your network hidden plus WPA2 is even more secure.

5. Cimmerian thread starter macrumors newbie

Cimmerian

Thanks iVeBeenDrinkin'

How to do make your network hidden? This might be a dumb question but I have never setup a network or used a wireless router.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I think the hidden network hides the name of the network itself, making it less easy to identify. The name won't appear in the list of accessible networks generated by the wifi monitors on other computer.

To see the instructions, open the AirPort Utility, then click the 'Help' menu in the menubar, then type 'hide'. The only help topic of real relevance is the one you want.

7. Cimmerian thread starter macrumors newbie

Cimmerian