Secure delete freezing cause fans going to 6000?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsprimal, Jun 29, 2010.

1. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

I downloaded a 338mb movie and i did a secure delete on it (biggest file i did a secure delete on). the blue bar went half way and stayed there. i thought it just needed a bit more time since it was a bigger file then most files i have deleted. so i waited 2-3 minutes and nothing changed so i stopped the deletion and then my fans got really loud and i checked istat pro in which i saw my fans going up to 5900-6000 rpms...... i closed all applications and let my mbp chill out for a bit, but the fans didn't slow down at all. so i shut down my mbp to stop the fans from going haywire.

now that i turned my mbp back on, i looked at the trash and its empty....but the file didnt finish securely deleting. i went to the download list in safari to see if i can find it in the finder, but it says its been moved (deleted). but it didnt fully delete since i had to stop it. any ideas on this?

overall, after this whole issue and reboot, my macs been slightly sluggish, only thing i've noticed that is sluggish now is text delay when typing. like right now, i would type a word and it would be blank for a split second, then the word would type out...

any help will be great, thanks all!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Fans start to spin, if the CPU gets hot. The CPU gets hot, when it draws a lot of power. The CPU draws a lot of power, when it is used for up to 100% or 200%, which is the case, when you secure delete a file, as the process "locum" gets quite crazy. Thus just let the fans spin, they do their work.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

alright thanks! any thoughts on why the secure deletion froze? and since i stopped it midway, why would my trash bin be empty? i feel like there should definitely be portions of the file left behind since it was a 100% clean process when i did the secure delete.

4. myke323 macrumors regular

you sure it froze? i'll bet if you had left it, it would have finished eventually. securely deleting can take a while sometimes depending on the file...

5. dsprimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

yeah i was thinking of letting it run, but it took at least 3 minutes before i decided to stop it. but now that i cant go back in time and change that, whats the deal now? if i stopped it mid way, but after a reboot i was expecting to just redo the secure delete, but the trash was already empty....sooooo anyone know where else i can look to see if the file is still left on my mbp somewhere?