Secure Delete, Oh Merciful Heavens

Appfull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
North Carolina
I've got a 3-year old imac running Tiger 10.4.11 and a four month old replacement 500gb hard drive.

So I was deleting some old files and decided to do the Secure Delete (the basic one, not the 35x overwrite option) Opened it up, got started. Everything going fine. I start getting the error messages about my rapidly-filling up hard drive and ignore them--assuming the computer's just reacting to the temp file being created. I know it's slow, so I check back a couple hours later. Judging by the blue bar it looks like it's 90% done, but now it says "Skipping" and I'm getting repeated messages about how the computer can no longer write the itunes library file. I closed itunes. Nothing changed. I left the Disk Utility alone for a while but it seemed to be stuck. So then I actually clicked on the "Skip" button. Nothing changed. Left it alone for a while. Finally got mad and decided to just reset. When my computer booted up (no problems) it said I have 1.67gb free on my hard drive. Before, I had something like 240. Now I know somewhere is a massive half-baked temp file. But how do I find it, and how do I delete it? I suppose I could just reinstall OS X, but that seems like a massive pain--especially since the computer IS running. Please, help!

Appfull

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
North Carolina
I just opened my trash and noticed two folders in it, called "Recovered Files" and "Recovered Files #1". The total size of the trash files is around 241 gb. Looks like I found the fat files in question...

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
check out your .Trashes folder its probably there and to remove it, you could run the rm command from the terminal.

If you can squeeze it in, try downloading/running omnidisksweeper as that will scan your hard drive and give you a list of what files/folders consume the most space.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.