Secure Delete on a camcorder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tuna9720, Feb 26, 2013.

1. tuna9720 macrumors regular

I have a handycam (camcorder) with a 100+GB hdd on it. And I'm selling it. Before I ship it I wanted to securely erase files.

I usually use disk utility on my mac to erase files (7 pass or 35 if I feel too paranoid :) ).

My question is; since this one does not come with a reinstallable OS Disk, what happens after the deleting process.

On disk utility before erasing files it's asking whether I want Mac-Os or Ms-Dos etc as an output. I didn't know what to choose there and I don't know whether this process will delete the whole operating system on the handycam or not.

And I also don't know what to do if that really deletes the operating system and leave the hdd without one.

I'm confused. I only want to delete the files but leave the system working after that work. Is that possible?

Can somebody suggest me how to do that pls?

Thanks

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

First off... it is media on the HDD... not social security numbers, bank accounts, etc... so your risk is low... except for those videos that you shot for your personal xxx home movie.

I would just erase all the movies... then turn it on and fill it up with a new movie of a blank wall until the HDD is filled.... then erase it and ship it.

/Jim