Secure Disk Erase failed.....Lion Bug?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Chairman.Jobbie, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Chairman.Jobbie, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2011

Trying to secure delete a 100Gb USB exeternal drive im selling using Disk Utility. I want to do 7 passes but it keeps coming with the same error at the end of the 1st pass. This error is after trying 1 pass just now.

The drive has been perfectly fine until now so im wondering whether this is some Lion glitch as there is no error mentioned after :

Is there some way of fixing this?

Ive done the repair drive option but it didnt do anything.
    A normal non secure erase works but secure.

Help appreciated....
  2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    Why do you want to do 7 passes? 1 (Zero Pass) is enough for spinning media.

As for SSD's (or flash drives) that's too complicated to get into.

Check ~/Library/Logs/DiskUtility.log to see if there is any useful errors. If that does not show anything, you could always try another Mac or Windows Machine.

In Windows you can Zero a drive by:
    1. Open Administrator Command Prompt
    2. Type: diskpart
    3. Type: list disk
    4. Find your disk in the list
    5. Type: select disk X (where X is your disk number)
    6. Type: clean all
    7. Wait for it to finish (it takes about a hour per 120GB over a USB port)
  3. Chairman.Jobbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2011

I found no error logs.

1) I have now tried to secure erase this drive on two computers. One was a MacBook Pro with Lion and my MacBook Air 13 Ultimate with Lion. Both times i have got the SAME ERROR message at the end.

2) I just tried another drive, which i am also selling - same model - with my mba and i got the same problem after running 1 zero pass secure delete.

3) Both drives have worked perfectly FOR YEARS up to now. And continue to work after this error'd secure delete process.

SO i am going to assume that there is a BUG in Lion secure delete that is not completing the process properly. That there is no clear error message showing adds to this theory.

Anyone have any ideas?

I now need to try secure erasing these drives using Snow Leopard but i dont know if i can be bothered.....

-- Question.
    It is taking 45-60 mins to secure delete these drives before the error message comes up at the end. Is it 'safe' to assume it HAS zero'd out the drives - otherwise what is it doing for 45 mins?

-- Request.
    Can someone who has a spare drive and a machine with Lion installed try to secure delete 1 pass and see what happens?

4. Chairman.Jobbie, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

Chairman.Jobbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2011
    Anyone care to secure delete a drive to confirm its a possible lion bug?
  5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Jul 28, 2006
    I've just secure deleted a few drives using 3-pass with Lion on a couple of machines (Mac Pro 2006, MacBook Pro 2010), I'm not seeing this bug.

I've been selecting the drive in disk utility, erase tab, then setting 3-pass in security options, then hitting erase.

I am not erasing the free space.

The drives ranged in size from 500GB to 1.5TB, some internal and some external (USB2).
  6. Chairman.Jobbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks for replying.

Then it does not make sense. I have tried 2 drives on 2 machines, both with lion, and i get the same error........ :confused:

I preformed a data recovery scan on 1 of the drives using 2 different applications and neither could recover any data so it looks like it is zero-ing.

Does any body have any ideas about this issue?