Secure Empty Trash is deleting over 11k items

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Mar 1, 2011.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I've been using Secure Empty Trash for a little over a month now.
    In the past, it has always emptied what was in the little trash container.
    For some reason today it is emptying over 11k items.
    Why is it doing this at this juncture, and where did these items come from??
    Thanks.

Frank

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. simsaladimbamba

In addition to the already asked question, I will just add, that applications are bundles, thus if you deleted an application, Trash will have to delete a bundle of files.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

A few spread sheets, my previous month backup of iCal, Safari bookmarks and Address book.
    There could be some older applications, but they would have been really old deletions.
    I was concerned that there was something "wrong" and that pertinent files are being erroneously deleted.
    If this were a PC I'd be sweating bullets, but with OSX, I'm more curious that concerned.
    Thanks.
    Frank

5. ERICLRICH macrumors newbie

Heres what i know

When you just empty the trash, it does not delete the bits of the file(s).

When you SECURE empty trash, it uses these passes of secure erase:
    US DOD 3 PASS:cool:
    GERMAN 5 PASS;)
    US DOD 7 PASS:D
    PETER GUTMAN LITE 10 PASS:cool:
    PETER GUTMAN HEAVY 35 PASS:eek:

Maybe in this case, the trash is using the gutman heavy:D

It depends how much files you have in the trash and how much space (mbs,gbs,etc) you have in the trash.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The number of passes has no bearing on the number of items being deleted. The OP wanted to know why there were 11K items being deleted. So far, you're 2 for 2 in posting erroneous information.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, while I can't 100% verify it (having not done it myself), I have seen reports on these boards that the Secure Erase seems to increase the "Number of items to be deleted" count by a factor of 7, assuming the standard 7-pass erase. If it had been configured to use a 35-pass erase, it's conceivable it could increase the number of items in the count by a factor of 35.

It's also entirely possible that the Trash actually contained that many files (many of them likely in bundles).

jW

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How do you change the default number of passes for Finder's Secure Empty Trash? I know you can select 7 or 35 passes when erasing free space using Disk Utility, but that's not the same. I just tested Secure Emptying the Trash. It doesn't multiply the number of items by a factor of 7. It did increase the number slightly, to account for hidden files.