"Secure" Erase on OS 3.0 much faster? Is it really secure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarkMS, Jun 20, 2009.

1. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I downloaded way too many apps today and decided to erase the phone to start fresh. I also wanted to see how long (or short) it would take for my 16GB iPhone 3G S to do a secure erase. It should be fast, right? So I went through the Settings>General>Reset>and clicked "Reset all content and settings", lo and behold, it didn't take an hour or so as it did on my 2G 8GB iPhone with 2.0 firmware. It barely took 2 minutes. There is no way it did a complete erase of the 16GB of storage. I did it again, making sure I was doing everything correctly. I still got the same results.

Now, I thought the "Reset all content and settings" gives users a more extensive reset function for those who wanted to sell the phone and not risk private data becoming leaked by writing zeros to the drive.

Am I missing something here? Is this because of the 3.0 firmware? Anyone else have some other details?

2. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

I did a secure wipe on my 8GB 3G and it took almsot two hours. It was only 3/4 full

3. blacklightz macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G S has built-in hardware encryption so yes the secure wipe should be almost instantaneous.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Should I do a secure erase before selling my 3G? Or it's not worth it?

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

it's not worth it if you're willing for all your personal data to be easily accessible...

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

In theory it could just destroy the encryption key associated with the filesystem and render the data permanently unrecoverable

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Doesn't reinstalling the OS a few times on top of the old one (without restoring) remove all the prior data?