secure erase or just repartition SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcampbell1070, Jan 29, 2012.

1. jcampbell1070 macrumors member

i have an owc 120gb mercury extreme pro 6g. i plan on reinstalling lion fresh. do i need to somehow use a security erase or can i just partition/format like a raw drive. i don't want to slow the ssd down.

2. sunnyj macrumors 6502

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you are able to use Secure Erase, that would be best before you partition it to reinstall the OS.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wouldn't do a secure erase on an ssd personally unless your dumping the drive.

5. jcampbell1070 thread starter macrumors member

i have heard of ATA secure erase. will that work? im going to read up on it.

----------

if i didnt do a secure erase will garbage collection reset the blocks once i reinstall lion and let it idol over night for a few nights.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A secure erase take 3 seconds.

It's resets all the cells to zero. Essentially it'll be in factory like condition. Don't have to limit this to when you're dumping the drive ;)

7. jcampbell1070 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply. do you or anyone else reading this could tell me what secure erase program to use or any info or links for a OWC SSD. thanks