Secure erase + Vertex 2 + Gparted = Headache

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muscle Master, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

okay here is the deal..

I have a Macbook Pro (2010) with a Vertex 2 SDD with about.. 60% degradtion (yes im serious) and I'm trying to do a secure erase via bootable Gparted cd rom..

Now Gparted boots fine but when I issue the " hdparm -I /dev/sda " command and the output command would say " Access Denied " and it seems to be that way with every other command.. it's like I don't have access to my ssd at all!!!

How do I fix this.. I only have my macbook pro and my cousin's netbook so... can I get some help?

2. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

3. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Yes I did.. and I can't seem to access my drive, so is it locked or forzen. I can't tell its even forzen or not cause I can't issue the command

4. WMuntean macrumors regular

Have you tried using a Linux CD and to put the system in sleep mode? Upon wake the drive should appear "not frozen". From there you can use the Linux terminal to issue the same commands.

5. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Would I be able to download it off the net and if yes where..

6. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

go to ocz forum,and download toolbox for ssd,use that to erase.

7. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

but it seems that linux can't boot on a macbook pro.. unless I'm missing something

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Gparted and HFS+ generally do not play nice together and I think that's your main problem. Plus which liveCD are you using to boot off. Ubuntu will give you a different result then Fedora. Some distros need certain boot flags at startup to boot up on a mac, so its impossible to say whether its Gparted causing the problem or Linux.

I think you may be better off getting the utilities from OCZ to erase the SSD

9. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Don't I need windows to run ocz utilities or it will run fine on OSx

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know, I would hope that they would provide osx version, but I'm not naive enough to believe that they actually do.

11. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Like someone said before, right before you run the ATA secure erase command, you need to put the laptop in sleep mode (close the lid) and then wake it up.

hdparm -I output should now say "not locked"

Code:
    Security: 
           Master password revision code = 65534
                   supported
           not     enabled
           not     locked
           not     frozen
           not     expired: security count
                   supported: enhanced erase
           2min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 2min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.

Then you can proceed to secure erase. Otherwise, you will get permission denied.
    edit: read that you cannot even issue the hdparm -I command ... are you root? issue the command as "sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda[whatever]"

12. WMuntean macrumors regular

I my setup used two CD drives; A bootable rEFit CD and a Ubuntu 10.10 LiveCD

Although it has been said that some MBPs recognize the Ubuntu CD with out problems, mine did not. I also didn't want to install rEFit on my computer so I used a boot CD of it. You can use rEFit to boot from a Ubuntu LiveUSB which then only requires 1 CD drive, but I already had a Ubuntu CD made.

Not sure if that cleared anything up. Obviously, if there were some OS X tools that did this natively it would be your first option, but I don't know of any.

13. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

That worked!!! and my drive is not locked but forzen. now how do I sleep this thing cause when I close the lid it stays on.. you can see the light from the screen..

14. WMuntean macrumors regular

FYI, others report that the sleep trick doesn't work on GParted. Let us know if you get it to work.

15. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

really.. I'm just shut the lid praying it would go to sleep.. no dice.so I would have to use a l inux disc.. smh

This is crazy!!!

16. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Sleep the macbook without closing the lid by pressing Command - Shift - Eject ... but not sure if that's a Mac OS keystroke combo or a system combo. hmm...

Anyways, the system needs to be able to go to sleep for the drive to become unfrozen and unlocked.

17. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Okay.. I could'nt get it to sleep.. so I unplugged it and plugged it back in and ran the sudo hdparm command and it now say it's not frozen

Since im on a role now.. I don't want to ruin everything

Can someone in detail tell me what do do next!!! lol im on my knees

PS. it also say Enhance erase not supported.. hopefully it doenst mean secure erase

18. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Follow step 2 through step 4 going forward from this guide:

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

Also, make sure you ARE NOT using your SSD under USB interface, it will kill your drive. You have to be on a SATA connection (just making sure). Good luck!

19. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

did it.. thank you guys.. i would buy yall a round of beer!!!

20. Muscle Master, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

Hey guys.. I'm trying to wipe my my ssd again, but I can't boot into gparted for some reason.. keep getting a error message.. this is on a 2011 MBP 13 vs the 2010 some months ago

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

21. altecXP macrumors 65816

Secure erase (and programs like them) do very little to actually wipe an SSD. Even NSA programs leave a lot of data recoverable on SSD's. All it really does is cause even more wear on the SSD. The only way to really erase an SSD is to encrypt it and then delete the files and the encryption keys, anything else is almost useless.

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The only way to really erase an SSD is to issue an ATA_SECURE_ERASE command which is what the OP is trying to do.

23. Muscle Master thread starter macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I did it.. had to use an older version of Gparted, funny thing is.. i lost my install disk.. gotta order some from apple care