Secure formating Macbook Pro w/o Screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Joonapuu, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Joonapuu macrumors newbie

My old laptop broke down. The screen stays black, but i can still power the laptop, and share the screen with my other mac. I think the graphics card is broken. External screens don't work either, just screen sharing.

So, now i want to sell my broken laptop for parts, but i would like to erase the hard drive before selling it. How am i going to do that? I know i can boot from OsX CD and choose to erase the hard drive from there, but screen sharing doesn't seem to work when booting from CD..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Use the other Mac and connect to it via Target Mode. Erase via Disk Utility

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Or, you can physically remove the drive and connect it to your working system and then fire up Disk Utility to secure erase it.

4. Joonapuu thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, the Target Mode sounds promising. I googled it, and i guess it's the same thing as Target Disk Mode. I'll try that one tomorrow.

I think physically removing the disk will be my last resort, hopefully it will not come to that :)

Thanks!

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

No buyer is going to care about a hard drive when brand new 500GB drives sell for $49 USD. Just take the drive out and trash it.

6. Joonapuu thread starter macrumors newbie

The Target Mode thing worked like a charm! Thanks!