Secure hotel wifi - hotspot shield

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Italianblend, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Italianblend, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I am wondering how safe it is to use hotel and other public wifi on the iPad? I'm traveling tonight and will have to use the hotel wifi for a few days. Is there any risk of hacking and is there any way to make it more secure? Just being paranoid. Thanks.

Edit: there's a few shady reviews of hotspot shield. Is it safe?

2. Italianblend, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Is hotspot shield safe to use? There are some bad reviews.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hotspot shield is free. You probably get what you pay for.

4. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

I just recently started to look into this.

Here's a good overview of some services:

http://applicationsipad.org/ipad-vpn-vpn-ipad-apps

I installed Cloak for it's pretty much brainless simplicity.

A bit of paranoia is a good thing - there actually are some people out there trying to prey on the unsuspecting. Best to not let yourself be low hanging fruit.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Generally speaking: most banking websites and apps have their own SSL security, so that's fairly well protected.

As far as other websites and data goes: if it's not SSL, then it's wide open on an public wifi hotspot. If you're using Facebook, Gmail, or other websites with data you want kept private, make sure you're on SSL (using https://).

The same should be true of your e-mail. Go into Settings -> Mail, and click on your individual accounts. Get to the Advanced menu, and make sure this is set on all of your mail accounts:

[​IMG]

This will help secure access to your mail.

All of this is pretty much good practice, VPN or no VPN, or even on an iPhone. People don't realize that technically, the 3G network is also one big, public hotspot, and while not (yet) common, it's totally within the realm of possibility that someday we could see snooping on the cellular network.

As far as VPNs go, that will do a good job of securing everything from praying eyes on the Wifi hotspot. The kicker is, you need to be able to trust the VPN provider, because while you're securing your data usage against eavesdropping at the WiFi level, you're also funneling ALL of your data through that VPN provider.

Personally, I would go with WiTopia. They have a good track record and have been around for years, and their basic VPN plan is $49.99 per year, offering Cisco IPsec which is both secure and supported natively by iOS devices.