Secure iChat? / School network...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajchapinjr.com, Dec 27, 2007.

1. ajchapinjr.com macrumors member

Hi all,
    At school, we recently had the Head of IT come and talk to classes ... among the points that he made was the ability for IT to check any AIM chat logs. He basically said: if it is sent through our network, we have the ability to read it.

I'm not up to anything shady, but do have a concern about my privacy. Is there any way to secure iChat so that these logs are not read-able by those clowns in IT? I did a quick Google and it says that it's part of .mac... then I went to the Apple site and clicked on .mac, and couldn't find any mention of it. Is this an older feature?

Any way to get it secured without buying .mac?

Appreciate the help.

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Use jabber with an account on a server that supports ssl (like Google's Gtalk service).

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Adium's OTR encryption will certainly defeat this, but unfortunately, it's only useful if both ends have it.

4. Sir Pancakes macrumors member

Sir Pancakes

Just obey the rules and dont be a chump at school. When you are using the schools network they have the right to do whatever they like.

5. Diaresi macrumors regular

If you're using your computer on their network, anything done through a secure connection (eg. SSL) can't be read since that's end-to-end encryption.

If you're using their computers on their network they'll be able to monitor every single little thing you did on that computer, if they so wished. In which case any encryption would do nothing since one of those ends is "compromised".