Secure my private files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DPH, Jan 6, 2009.

1. DPH macrumors member

Hi, Im going to the army next week, and my macbook and my WD passport will be with me, going to take alot of bus, airplanes, trains this year, so to secure my macbook i have turned on the filevault, now i have to log off my user account to backup my home folder, but thats just fine, and for other files i got on my passport, i use truecrypt,

but one thing, i got alot of photos in iphoto, will this be secure from filevault or do i have to leave all my picture at home? if im so unlucky that someone steals my macbook, i really want the idiot to have a verry hard time to get out my files..

tnx for all great answers and sorry for my really bad english hope you all understand:)

Daniel.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Filevault should be secure enough. Although if you want, you can create an image (any size you want) that you can encrypt with 256 bit AES encryption which is a very secure encryption method. I personally use a 500MB image encrypted that way for any sensitive documents. You can create it by going to Disk Utility>New Image, then set your image name, image size, and encryption method. And if you want it to have a folder icon, you can click once on the new image, hit command + I and then in the top left of that new window drag a folder onto the hard drive image. That will change the icon from a hard drive image to the folder.

3. DPH thread starter macrumors member

tnx, i will use that method instead of truecrypt:)

but, will iphoto pictures be secured inside the filevault or?

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

kastenburst: That will hide the files to OS X, but they are not secure.

Your photots in iPhoto will be safe in Filevault on your Time Machine backup, so long as your iPhoto Library is stored within your home folder.