Secure password protect Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lizziejh, May 5, 2017.

1. Lizziejh macrumors member

Lizziejh

My Mac is password protected. However, I believe that were it to be stolen, someone could gain access to it by starting it up in safe mode and changing the password. Is this true and if so, can I make it more secure?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Use file vault to encrypt the the drive, there by protecting your data. You can also set a firmware password and there's no way to get around that. The downside of that option is, if you forget the password, then you cannot access your computer and you cannot reset it. For me, File Vault is good enough

3. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I wonder how many calls Apple gets that I forgot my password and I have file vault turned on.

4. leman macrumors G3

They can't do anything about it. They are very explicit about this fact.

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Don't you remember this thread where you could get your firmware unlocked :) :

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/firmware-locked-macbook.1936366/

6. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

7. Lizziejh, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017

Lizziejh thread starter macrumors member

Lizziejh

File vault, are there any downsides to enabling this please and is it easy to set up? Would that totally mean that is anyone stole my laptop they would not be able to change passwords to access my data?

I'm using MacOS Sierra 10.12.14

Sorry if these are daft questions, I'm still a novice.

Edit to add

Which of these options is best please?

Choose how you want to be able to unlock your disk and reset your password, in case you ever forget your password:

• If you're using OS X Mavericks, you can choose to store a FileVault recovery key with Apple by providing the questions and answers to three security questions. Choose answers that you're sure to remember.*
    • If you're using OS X Yosemite or later, you can choose to use your iCloud account to unlock your disk and reset your password.*
    • If you don't want to use iCloud FileVault recovery, you can create a local recovery key. Keep the letters and numbers of the key somewhere safe—other than on your encrypted startup disk.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

file vault will add a small amount of over-head (read a slight performance degredation but not really noticable.). Very easy, see the link below. If someone stole your laptop they would not be able to access your data as it will be encrypted

Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac

9. Lizziejh thread starter macrumors member

Lizziejh

Thanks, is it better to use iCloud recovery or get a recovery key?

10. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Security-wise nothing beats physical security so I would write it all down and put it in a safe with other valuables or store in a safe deposit box at your local bank if you have one.

11. Lizziejh thread starter macrumors member

Lizziejh

All set up now.

What happens should I need the key? If I were hacked e.g., what would be the procedures?