Secure Wifi Network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andy8, Jul 19, 2012.

1. andy8 macrumors regular

I frequently use Wifi Networks at hotspots like Starbucks and restaurants and understand that my usage can be easily 'sniffed'. I would like to know if there are any SSL or VPN applications for Mac OSX that could protect and secure
    my internet usage in the open (wirelessly) by way of preventing the traffic from being plaintext/visible.

2. cmdrmac macrumors regular

Have you looked at TOR?

Tor - Wikipedia Page

3. andy8, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

andy8 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have used TOR before but it actually slows down my network. Plus, I would be really happy to use a lightweight application which secures my Wireless Internet usage and TOR requires the need for a separate browser too.

4. cmdrmac macrumors regular

There are free proxy services that you can find just by googling for free proxy servers. If you're willing to pay, then there are several VPN services that you could take advantage of. Some of these services do have applications that must be downloaded in order to connect to their service.

5. andy8 thread starter macrumors regular

I want to avoid using proxy services/proxy avoidance.
    Are there any free and useful applications that works great on Mac ?

6. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Your request, by definition, was a proxy service. :mad:

If you have a Mac/Linux computer at home, you can tunnel your traffic via SSH through that computer at home. It's free but setting it up can be a challenge.

7. andy8 thread starter macrumors regular

Pardon my knowledge on the proxy service. I didn't know that. Thank you for letting me know.Really appreciate it.

8. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If you connect to servers using SSL, then that traffic is secure. Make sure that email, sites you visit, etc. are using it and you're fine.

For anonymous surfing, check out Netshade. It's an application that comes with a subscription to use their privately maintained proxy servers. Very nice, and quick.

For even more security, I'd second the recommendation for your own secure proxy server. That would require a computer running at home or in the office and connection over SSH or VPN to a proxy. It's a pain to set up yourself...or you could buy a coupla copies of Share Tool. It includes a proxy setup, so that you simply fire it up on both computers and you have an encrypted proxy connection. And you can access your files, screen, iTunes, iPhoto etc.

9. andy8 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your answer. I like the first method you described and is most suitable for me. But how can I ensure that all sites and e-mails I send/recieve is being performed via SSL ? Is there an Application I need to use or anything else I need to setup ?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't. Enabling or not enabling SSL is a choice the site owner will make. You can't force a site to use SSL.