Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi,
I tried to set up a secure wireless set up using a linksys router. I couldn't get my Mac to take the password.

I used my sons old Dell with XP and it linked up immediately. I don't think I mistyped anything in. It just seems like there might be something in OSX that I'm not doing?

I have a Ti-Book and OSX 10.4.5.

Even after it synced with the Dell, and the wireless network was up, I still couldn't get OSX to take the password. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

Frank

bzgnyc

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
fjs08 said:
Hi,
I tried to set up a secure wireless set up using a linksys router. I couldn't get my Mac to take the password.

I used my sons old Dell with XP and it linked up immediately. I don't think I mistyped anything in. It just seems like there might be something in OSX that I'm not doing?

I have a Ti-Book and OSX 10.4.5.

Even after it synced with the Dell, and the wireless network was up, I still couldn't get OSX to take the password. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

Frank

Did you install AirPort Update 2005-001? This update does not seem to be included in MacOS X 10.4.5. I could not connect my friend's TiBook 1GHz to a Netgear WGR614v3 router configured with WPA-PSK security, and installing this update fixed the problem right away.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>Maybe try putting a dollar sign ($) before the password. <<

ROFL!!! I love that.

>>Did you install AirPort Update 2005-001? <<

Where would I find out if I did?? I do all the auto updates that come along.

Frank

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I wasn't joking. :eek:

Sometimes, Macs need a dollar sign in front of their passwords before they can join hexadecimal-secured networks. This was meant to have been stopped in an update last year but some people are still finding they need the dollar sign. :)

fjs08 said:
Where would I find out if I did?? I do all the auto updates that come along.

In System preferences, go to Software Update and click on the Installed Updates. Is it there? It should be if you're getting all the automatic updates. :)

FWIW, this link may be helpful too.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>I wasn't joking.

Sometimes, Macs need a dollar sign in front of their passwords before they can join hexadecimal-secured networks. This was meant to have been stopped in an update last year but some people are still finding they need the dollar sign. <<

Interesting. I'll try that tomorrow when I get back to the office.

>>In System preferences, go to Software Update and click on the Installed Updates. Is it there? It should be if you're getting all the automatic updates. <<

I got it in Nov, 2005.

>>FWIW, this link may be helpful too.<,

Very interesting!!!
Thanks.

Frank

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
That worked. Adding the $ infront of the 10 digit Hex code worked. Amazing. I restarted the Mac before I tried to add it in.

Frank

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.