Secure (with SMS) OWA outlook web access on ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Monte Cristo, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Monte Cristo macrumors newbie

Tried several forums, searches but I could not find a solution: my company is using OWA, with an extra security feature: each time I try to connect, it wil send me an SMS on my mobile phone and I have to enter this code before I can access my email. i cannot therefore use Mail to connect, and it seems that the only compatible browser is IE (wont work with Safari on Mac). I tried several browsers on the ipad (safari, atomic "as IE", maven, Opera, etc) with no success. I was wondering if someone here knows a "100%" compatible IE browser for Ipad, or had the same problem. Thx in advance !

2. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I believe a version of Exchange is a factor here. Exchange 2010's OWA is built to work with any browser. I am in a process of migrating company's Exchange 2003 to 2010, and difference between OWA is night and day on any browser.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that you can do here. It's all about your IT department and their plans. OWA is VERY picky about browsers in general, at least it's 2003 and 2007 versions.

If you do run Safari, at least OWA should jump into a "compatibility" mode, where it will not be as functional, but at least allow you to use email.

3. Monte Cristo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the answer. They use Exchange 2003. I was able to use Safari before they implement this extra step with a code sent via SMS: it now displays an error and wont go further.

4. iMule macrumors 6502

God, I wish! I've tried all the same methods as you have. Our company uses mostly IE only web apps. It's a pain. The only solution is to remote into the machine using a VNC app.

5. Meanee macrumors 6502a

What software do they use for this? From what I understand, 2 factor authentication is not a standard feature of Exchange 2003. But then again, my Exchange experience is limited to SBS 2003 bundled version.

6. Monte Cristo thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about it but it then involves too many extra steps ...

7. Monte Cristo thread starter macrumors newbie

I attach below a copy of the 2 steps: it seems to be asked by Exchange but I am not 100% sure they use the 2003 version.

[​IMG]

and then :

[​IMG]