Securely erasing my old iPhone prior to selling it

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by m021478, Sep 21, 2009.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I am currently using an iPhone 3Gs, and I would now like to sell my original iPhone (1st-Gen), but I can't follow the well-documented "Erase All Content & Settings" instructions because my old iPhone currently doesn't have a SIM card installed in it.

Because of this, I can't get the phone to show me the springboard/homescreen (let alone grant me access to any of the settings to securely wipe it)... that is, unless I take my current SIM card out of my iPhone 3Gs and and put it back into my old phone - then, I would be able to go through the activation process with AT&T again from my old iPhone (1st-Gen)...

Doing this is the only way I can get the phone backup up and running to be able to securely wipe it using the "Preferences > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings" feature.

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me whether or not I would screw anything up permanently (like my Terms of Service/Contract with AT&T, or something along these lines) if I were to re-insert the SIM card back into my old iPhone; temporarily re-activate it so that I can wipe it; then reinsert the SIM card back into my iPhone 3Gs where it will remain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

2. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

no, you won't get charged for anything. you still have the unlimited data plan, so anything you do won't have a negative effect on your bill.

if it helps, you already should have a back-up in your itunes of your old iphone, it stores it automatically i think, you can check iTunes --> Preferences --> Devices