Securely wiping my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fitworldmac, Dec 10, 2010.

1. fitworldmac macrumors member

I just bought a new macbook pro and I want to wipe all the files and give my old one away as a gift. However I dont want anyone having a chance to recover any old files. Also, I do NOT have the intallation disk for my old mac....does anyone have any ideas that could help?

2. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

There is a secure format option in disk utility. You will need an OS disc to do the format and reinstall the OS. You can use the disc from your new computer or buy a new copy it is up to you. Just use the option that is DoD level (says it in the info tip) or higher and you will be fine.

Absolute safest is to pop in a new HD depending on what you had stored on the computer and your personal level of paranoia :D

3. r00ky macrumors member

I'd agree. The most secure way is to replace the HD and hold onto the old HD in a lock box.

Second option, would be to do some type of secure erase with multiple wipes of the HD. I use PGP (pre-symantec) WDE for work, and it comes with a 3rd party secure erase.

Third option (the cheapest), you could download Truecrypt and create a rather large encrypted container and dump all your personal files into the container. Close it up, and then secure wipe the container itself.

Someone may be able to see WHAT files you had on your HD with some effort, but I'd doubt they'd go through the trouble of trying to recover them.