Securing a Macbook Air??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RobQuads, Sep 6, 2011.

1. RobQuads macrumors regular

I've been looking around for a solution to the security issue with the Macbook Air (2011) and wondered if anyone had found a decent solution?

Ideally I am looking for a way to secure it to a fixed object i.e. desk/bed etc. (I am not interested in alarm type plugs as they are not suitable for me)

I have seen one solution which involved a big frame around the base of the Macbook which is very ugly and very expensive IMO for what it is.

I am amazed that Apple did not put a Kensington lock on the Air, specially with the all Ali frame it would have been easy.

The only way I could see it working is some sort of wire fed down to the hinge although I can't see how this would not damage the air if it was closed

ideas?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I suspect the MBA is simply too thin for a secure Kensington-style lock slot. Probably one minor yank and it would pull right out, if they could even make it fit.

The down side to such a thin machine.

The 13" MBP's have lock slots on them.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

KPOM -- I think thats the one the OP referred to as "a big frame around the base of the Macbook" -- see for an illustration of what it looks like from the bottom.

Other than a big sticker saying "Warning, this unit has an LG screen and LG SSD!", I'm not sure there's a solution for unattended security.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

You mean a Toshiba SSD. :)

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I had a Macbook with a Kensington lock stolen (ripped the lock right out), and one of the companies I work for has had more than they can count stolen (cables cut or locks ripped out). Kensington locks give a false sense of security IMO. If someone wants to steal your laptop, they're gonna steal it.

I would imagine that the Macbook Air is simply too fragile and it would be easy to rip the lock right off of it.

You're much better off taking your Air with you and never leaving it unattended in a public place. In a dorm room or office, I would suggest a laptop safe. There are a number of companies who make them, but here is one for reference:

http://www.computersecurity.com/locker/

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Doh! You're right. :D

8. RobQuads thread starter macrumors regular

Don't agree with you on that one. If a causual theif sees a laptop locked up they won't even bother, if its not locked, 2 seconds later and its gone. Its the causual theif that most devices are for and very good at.

The scenarios i am looking at using my air is in a chalet while away snowboarding etc so safes are no use. Very few chalets have 'secure' storage so a lock is ideal to stop the casual theif

9. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I'd be interested to find some solution. I've seen a couple of threads about this, any people always come up with impractical solutions such as: bring along a bank vault.

The Kensingtons are also just a deterrent - just like wrapping a purse strap around a chair leg - anyone that wants to specifically steal that bag will manage - but it deters the casual grab-and-run thief.

Actually I've just come up with an idea whilst writing this - but I want to investigate a bit further before going public with it.

10. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

you might want to check out macbracket - they just released a solution for the newer MBA models

11. RobQuads thread starter macrumors regular

The problem with those brackets is it requires the laptop to be open.

Often I want to lock it up when its closed. I would not want to leave it open as its then saying "Hey look at me" and if someone closes the lid not realizing that that does bye bye laptop

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Maybe I am missing something, but why not just put it into a lockable suitcase whilst you are snowboarding?