Securing a rMBP 13" while on the go?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mlts22, May 7, 2015.

1. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Since Apple has done away with the Kensington lock slot, what is the best way to secure a rMBP these days? I'm not looking for an ultimate solution, but something good enough to deter a skulker.

I have seen a few lock kits that went through the hinge, but they seem rather delicate and would do heavy damage if the laptop was closed.

I have also seen a few docking stations that are lockable, such as the LandingZone, and the hengedocks.com horizontal dock. However, the Henge horizontal dock doesn't seem in production, and the LandingZone does have a lot of downsides as per its reviews on Amazon.

Of course, there is always a locking backpack like a PacSafe model.

Normally, the best way to secure things is to always take it with you, but sometimes leaving a table and coming back at a library for a quick restroom break may mean someone else will take your spot almost immediately.

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I have basically 3 security measures in the software side:

1. Undercover anti-theft app with a Guest account, allowing the thief to play with the machine;
    2. iCloud "Find My Mac" enabled. This way you can find and wipe the machine, if necessary;
    3. Password firmware protection enabled. This prevents the thief from installing a new OS on it;

- I keep FileVault2 disabled because it turns the Guest account nearly unusable (FileVault turns the Guest account basically a Safari kiosk).
    - It would be nice attaching a sticker in the bottom case with contacts details, so the thief will think on asking for a rescue before trying to sell parts.

I know I didn't exactly answer your question, but maybe you can find some of the measures useful.

3. mlts22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What you penned is wise. Because I'm more worried about confidentiality of data than getting the laptop back, disk encryption is a must. Coupled with Find my Mac and EFI boot protection, it will effectively limit a thief's use of the laptop to parting it out.

As far as I can tell, since one dock isn't shipping and I don't want to glue on any wedges or other items, the MacLocks case that screws on is another alternative, probably the best out there, since a would-be thief either has to bend/snap off the corner with the Kensington lock slot, or snap the case off, both are ways that would get unwanted attention.

Insurance on the laptop goes without saying, in any case.

I wish there were a better solution (perhaps Apple should make a lock slot that functions similar to the Kensington slot, but works on their thinner devices), but anything is better than nothing.

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Yes, it would be nice. I preferred FileVault 1, even if it's less safe than FV2 approach. I'd like to be able to use it as a second option available in the Preferences Pane. System-wide encryption is not good when used together with anti-theft tools.

I try to make encrypted sparsebundles for work projects, but I know this is not a 100% safe approach if the disk image is mounted, but I think it's pretty safe to my needs. Just make sure you set the right permissions, so even if it appears mounted in the Guest account, the thief won't be able to see the contents.

5. mlts22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like your idea of using encrypted sparsebundles, especially if one makes sure to unmount un-needed ones and mount needed ones. This minimizes risk just in case the laptop was swiped and the screensaver didn't activate. I also am going to be pretty VM heavy, and VMWare Fusion also provides its own AES encryption.