Securing Data During Repair

jazzer15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
I have a late 2009 i7 quad core iMac w/12 gig of RAM. I have a minor problem with the LCD and am considering getting it replaced. At the same time I figured I would either have the 2TB HDD or the Super Drive replaced with an SSD.

I have a lot of personal data on my machine and don't feel comfortable just handing the machine with all of my data and emails over to someone else, despite the fact that I generally trust that the shop is honest. I am wondering how best to secure the data when bringing the computer to the shop for the repairs, upgrades, figuring that I would have to provide my password in order for them to be able to test the machine and do the work.

blueeggs

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I have a late 2009 i7 quad core iMac w/12 gig of RAM. I have a minor problem with the LCD and am considering getting it replaced. At the same time I figured I would either have the 2TB HDD or the Super Drive replaced with an SSD.

I have a lot of personal data on my machine and don't feel comfortable just handing the machine with all of my data and emails over to someone else, despite the fact that I generally trust that the shop is honest. I am wondering how best to secure the data when bringing the computer to the shop for the repairs, upgrades, figuring that I would have to provide my password in order for them to be able to test the machine and do the work.
You could always do a restore from a time machine backup. make a new fresh user account. Delete your original account. then restore from the backup when you get back your iMac.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
either back up the mac to time machine and wipe it with a secure wipe ( 3 or more passes ) if its a mechanical disk

or

turn on filevault and send it as is, and do not give them your password or recovery key

they can use the guest account , they don't need your password

if they insist they need a password to run their tests, send them the hard disk wiped

apple hardware test that comes with macs doesn't even check your disk

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
several times i have sent back my dell laptops back to dell repair without hard disks, but those were easy to remove and install

i sent in my mac mini to ny to repair. its still in repair. i just sent it as is with file vault on and guest enabled

i made a test account for the genius once

jazzer15

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Thanks for the responses. Certainly the firevault option would be less time consuming, so maybe I should try that in the first instance. for the issue I am having with the monitor there really shouldn't be a need to access my account. I have a Time Machine Backup but I have about 800 GB of data on a 2 TB HDD, so 3 erase passes and then a restore (over firewire) would take a good bit of time.