Securing Macbookpro for Genius bar visit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by corry20, Nov 3, 2013.

1. corry20 macrumors regular

I have a macbook pro early 2011 and I need to get a new battery for it.So I'm taking it in the genius bar.Can I just use a guest account so they can't get into my files and passwords?

2. HBP macrumors member

I tend to back up, and do a fresh install. Or I keep a secondary HDD that I swap in when leaving it at the genius bar.

As soon as someone has physical access, they have complete access.

3. lg251 macrumors 6502

I went with my 2009 last year to change the battery at the Genius bar and it took 20 minutes to swap it. I doubt they took the time to surf through my folders to check what I had... They don't need to «use» the computer to do that. If I remember well they shut downed the computer before going in the backstore to replace the battery. I wouldn't worry if I was you.

4. corry20 thread starter macrumors regular

OK thank you.Do they stock 2011 batteries?Want to make sure they have one when I go in.I keep getting a Service battery under the battery icon

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're a famous celebrity by all means secure your information; I don't think they bother with regular folk though...

If they don't have the part in stock, they will order it you; can let them keep the computer or have them call you when the part comes in and to bring the computer for a drop off (quick drop).

Personally I encrypt my drives, so I don't worry too much about snooping.

6. lg251 macrumors 6502

They had only left when I went (they told me). They might or might not have one for your model. You could try calling before hand to see if they have any in stock.

7. corry20 thread starter macrumors regular

The issue I have is I don't live near apple store.It's about 2 hours away.I'm just going to be in the area for that day.I will call and make sure they have one.

8. esskay macrumors 6502

I removed my SSD and reinstalled the original HD when I brought my MBP13 in for service.

9. ktc macrumors newbie

Is there any equivalent to a power-on BIOS-level password like on PCs? At least that way unless they remove the HD there's no way to access the data.

10. AirThis macrumors 6502a

I think Apple's FileVault system should protect you from prying eyes. Encrypt your whole disk and in the options don't give Apple the recovery key.