Securing safety for my macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by psychotropic, Jun 28, 2008.

1. psychotropic macrumors regular

Hi everyone, I have been a longtime Lurker and am like the majority of the other students patiently (well most the time) awaiting the update of the new macbook's. My reason for this post is because I am a graduate student and have my own office to study for school. The office has a lock on the door but I have been told that you should be careful what you leave in the office. I am in the second year of my program and so far nothing has turned up missing from the office. I am planning on buying a new monitor, apple keyboard, and mighty mouse to use with my macbook and was wondering if anyone knew any security devices that would protect the monitor, keyboard, and mouse from being stolen. I have done some internet searches but haven't found anything that fits my needs. If you have a suggestion it would be appreciated, thanks!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you really need to use them, a standard Kensington style lock for the Macbook (they can be picked *very* easily by someone who knows how, though, so they really just provide deterrence against casual thieves). There are a variety of similar loop cables if your display does not have a lock port (some do), like this:

http://www.tryten.com/products/c1monitorcombolock.php

We lock our grad offices pretty rigorously, because we have HIPAA sensitive data in them, so I just leave stuff sitting in the office, but I would guess that display theft is a pretty low concern. I honestly would not bother doing anything beyond perhaps writing your name on the bottom for protecting the kb and mouse.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have to say those locks are not cut proof either; can be done in 15 minutes with a serrated knife, but seriously it's for against opportunistic theft.

As with security, well lock you doors, and use a Kensington DS lock if you do plan to use a lock.