Securing wireless internet at home. Help.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by laughingbabe16, May 10, 2007.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

We have cable internet at home. The main computer is hooked up the router and the cable box for the internet. My MacBook automatically picks up the signal to the internet under "linksys" and the downstairs computer does the same thing, but through the use of a wireless card, since it's an older computer. However, my mind got thinking yesterday because my sister came over with her laptop and was able to login to the internet without any problems. Her computer automatically picked up the wireless connection. Therefore, if she can do this, then i'm sure other people near our house can pick up our internet connection, with or without a good connection is not the point.

How in the world can I password protect our internet connection? Is there such thing? If not, how can I make sure our internet connection is more secure than it is?

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

2. gameguy3001 macrumors member

Most wireless router have the ability to password protect (encrypt) the wireless connection. If you do have a Linksys router, then you should be able to enable that feature.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can password the internet connection, if the old computer is using Windows 98 or 2000 then use WEP, (it should be in the settings), otherwise use WPA if possible as it takes longer than 1 minute to hack (with the right software) and causes less problems.

These should be accessable by logging onto your router, the address is probably 192.168.1.1

the username will be admin, on older routers the password is blank, on newer ones it is admin. Obviously change them to something else thats memorable when you login.

The option should be under "Wireless Settings" or something...

4. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

so i tried looking under settings or options for the internet options to set a password, but there is nothing! any other suggestions?