"Securiphone" - 08456 125815

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tuggster, Nov 13, 2007.

1. tuggster macrumors newbie

Just a warning for anyone out there - I had a phone call earlier this evening from a slightly dodgy sounding chap claiming to be from 'Securiphone'. Basically he was trying to make out that they were the ones providing my O2 iPhone insurance and that they were going to cut the rate down to £5.99. "Great!" I thought, but followed swiftly by alarm bells started ringing when he stated I was currently paying £9.99 (O2 insurance is £7.50 for ANY phone) and my excess is currently £50 (nope, £25.) Then once he asked for my name (an agent of O2 would have this, surely) I started asking who they actually were - he confessed they were nothing to do with O2. I then told him I was happy with my current insurance and hurriedly said "Goodbye" and hung up!

Very dodgy sounding outfit I think. I rang O2 to ask them if they knew anything about them, and the O2 chap was very interested in taking all their details - didn't sound like they were too happy about this company attempting to make out they were O2.

So anyway - beware of anyone calling from Securiphone or on the number 08456125815.

There are some more details on this site: http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08456125815

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It means O2 are selling your details onto 3rd parties at least, so a complaint is in order.

3. tuggster thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought the same thing, and actually asked the O2 guy if that could have happened. He stated that they wouldn't/couldn't do it without my permission (which they haven't got) and (politely!) said what would be the sense in handing out my number to 3rd party insurance companies.

I think this might answer how they got my number though: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/20/cpw_phone_insurance/

I'm porting over from Vodafone and have my old mobile set to redirect calls to the iPhone - so sadly I have no idea which number they rang, but I'm willing to bet that it's the new/temporary one.

4. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I got a call from them too, they said they were from my mobile phone company, I asked which one, and she replied 'your one'!!! Oh my god I almost burst out laughing! She mentioned that my current insurance was £9.99 and I could renew for £5.99 that's when the alarm bells rang for me too, I put down the phone shortly after.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I had a similar call, and immediately demanded to know where they got my number (as it was still the temporary "pre-porting" number assigned by O2). They said "From a random database", so I said "Well, bugger off" and hung up. Did I do well?

6. baabaa90 macrumors member

I had a call from this outfit too. I never took out the insurance, so I knew it was suspicious.

7. quixers macrumors member

Dont think o2 would have a hand in this - company probably knows the number of one iphone and is ringing numbers around it... We all probably activated with similar numbers - well numbers from the same range.

8. PieMan macrumors newbie

o2 have given away or sold my ported number from Orange. A mesage was left on my iPhone from a woman who knew my name and that I have an iPhone wanting to know if I wanted to insure my phone. Couldn't make out what company she said she was from, she wasn't speaking clearly, there was alot of background noise/talking and the number was witheld.

9. BuxtonUK macrumors member

Oh I've got the best one of these stories.

Was sat in a taxi on my way home, iPhone starts vibrating an 0845 number is calling.. Answer;

"Hi, is that *****?"

Speaking,

"Hi ****** this is Rachel from Insurance (alarm bells went off just about here) we see you've just bought one of our iPhones and are currently paying £9.99 for your insurance." (alarm bells stopped going off, instead they pointed and just laughed.)

Ermm, that's funny, I don't have insurance on the phone.

"Oh really! Well we can offer you insurance for just £5.99 a month, can I ask why you don't have insurance on the phone?"

Yeah, I'm returning it tomorrow..

"Bye then"...

She hung up unbelievably quick and I was just sat there, looking at my phone thinking "WTF!"