SECURITY ALERT: Android wallpaper app that steals your data was downloaded by million

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dogie678, Jul 28, 2010.

1. dogie678 macrumors regular

2. doboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

That was my fear all along about android os. It'll be much worse in no time.

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Thats scary actually. Im returning my Android and getting an iPhone 4 with a bumper.

4. Stay Tuned macrumors member

Perhaps you should post this on an android for then instead of an IPHONE FORUM?

5. doboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SGH-T959 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

For real or being sarcastic?

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would guess they are being sarcastic.

7. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

I'm not sitting here saying that Apple goes through a seriously thorough review of every app that comes across their plate, but at least they say they do and I have something to fall back on. I'd be shocked if there weren't a crapton of apps doing this on Android.

8. doboy macrumors 68000

He can post it anywhere he wants. I have both iPhone 4 and Samsung Vibrant, but mainly hang out at Macrumors. Still deciding on which phone to keep :)

9. dogie678 thread starter macrumors regular

More details. http://www.appleinsider.com/article...id_users_hit_by_malicious_data_theft_app.html

10. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I find it Ironic that this is not on any of the big name tech blogs yet but if this was on the iPhone you'd be hearing on everysite and ESPN.:rolleyes:

11. dogie678 thread starter macrumors regular

its already on Techmeme, Appleinsider, Venturebeat, financial times, eWeek, Technologizer, Techflash, etc.

12. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

They also stole my entire contact database without my permission when I used a application called MyBackup. The application pretended that the backup is only from the phone to e SD card. But when I restored, everything was sent to the cloud, and not my phone. Luckily I didn't trust Android to use it for my eWallet, and accounting application yet.

They have no respect for privacy there.

13. dogie678 thread starter macrumors regular

14. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I'm all for apple monitoring the app store for stuff like this and for apps that don't fun right, I just wish they would stop censoring.

16. dogie678 thread starter macrumors regular

you can always use an Android phone :)

17. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

I think the Internet would inevitably explode if it was on Apple's store. This will like just get a 10 second mention on tomorrows news. Maybe Google will offer security "bumpers" now.

18. sciwizam macrumors regular

I wonder to what processes this app asked for permissions to access. If your wallpaper app was asking permissions to unnecessary stuff and you went ahead and installed it, PEBKAC.

19. jaykk macrumors 6502a

I guess there are vested interest and co-ordinated attack against apple. They want to see Apple fail, so that they can go back to old virus ridden windows style world or even DOS days.

20. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I've just done a quik check of permissions reqested on one of the suspected wallpaper apps and something does seem fishy:
    [​IMG]
    Storage and Network communication permissions make sense (needs to write wallpaper to SD card and needs to download wallpapers) but the location and phonecalls one seems odd (unless the phonecalls was to quit the app once a call was initiated and the location was for analytics).

I thought I'd compare with two apps that genuinely have reason to access SMS/Contact info and the permissions requested are very different (Chomp SMS and Phonebook 2.0):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

On the jackey wallpaper app there was no mention of accessing phone numbers, SMS messages or personal information.

This puts me off too:
    They have something to sell and they have nasty stories of malware on Android.

All of it seems odd to me but one word of warning, always check the permissions requested before installing an app.

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

So what is the App called? I didnt see a mention of it.

22. dogie678 thread starter macrumors regular

That doesn't mean they're wrong. Android phones are insecure. and thats a fact.

23. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

"The app in question came from Jackeey Wallpaper, and it was uploaded to the Android Market, where users can download it and use it to decorate their phones that run the Google Android operating system. It includes branded wallpapers from My Little Pony and Star Wars, to name just a couple."

Except it isn't a single app, the dev has many wallpaper apps on there:
    [​IMG]

24. doboy macrumors 68000

Sure you can check the permissions, but most people aren't going to look over that and even if they do, there are not going to know what's appropriate for a particular app.

Edited: also can't the developers just lie about the permissions?

25. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

If you actually look into what you are installing, any insecurities are avoidable. The very fact that Jackey Wallpapers apps do not request SMS info means I will wait before worrying (not that I use a wallpaper app at all).

Contact theft isn't impossible on iOS either: http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/2008/07/24/aurora-feint-removed-from-app-store/