Security and Privacy Question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Reesche, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Reesche macrumors member

Reesche

Hello...... I am trying to make a change in my Security & Privacy settings and everytime I try to open the little LOCK in the bottom left it keeps.... opening and then quickly shuts.

How do I keep this open so I can make my adjustments?

See attached image....

Thank you!
    Reesche

Attached Files:

2. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

Is this an IOS 10 question or Mac OS? I've only seen lock screen in Mac OS. After you click on lock it should ask for your password for the computer

3. neeklamy, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

neeklamy macrumors newbie

Check out the answers given to this Ask Different Q&A, Can't unlock preferences - no password dialog.

The top rated answer says to issue a command in the Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities) as an administrator.

If you have a separate administrator account, enter this into the Terminal

[Change admin to the name of your administrator account]

su admin [ENTER KEY]
    password: [This is the prompt for your admin password, whatever you type in isn’t echoed to the screen, hit the enter key when you’re done]
    sudo pkill -HUP securityd [ENTER KEY]

If you DON’T HAVE a separate administrator account, enter this into the Terminal

sudo pkill -HUP securityd [ENTER KEY]
    password: [This is the prompt for your admin password, whatever you type in isn’t echoed to the screen, hit the enter key when you’re done]

          

If you’re unsure if you have a separate administrator account, that’s easily checked in System Preferences ▸ Users & Groups.

It’s good practice to have a separate day-to-day standard and administrator accounts, it’s a little bit more bother, but it prevents you or anyone else from making unchallenged system wide changes.

MacOS-Sys-Prefs-admin-user.png (System Preferences ▸ Users & Groups. Note how my regular account, ‘Christopher’, is a Standard account, and my ‘Admin’ account is the admin for this computer.)

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Not your question but I noticed you were opening the application "Handbrake" and you should check that you have a safe version of that app. Their servers were compromised several weeks ago (but only for 3 days) and a spyware infected version of the app was being distributed.