Security and safety question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kimcicle, Jun 25, 2009.

1. kimcicle macrumors newbie

Hello guys,
    Just have a general/mac101 question.
    I am not totally sure if this is a proper board to start a thread on this topic, but curious, with respect to downloading files from torrent websites, how safe is Mac OSX?
    I mean I understand that Macs don't usually have problems with viruses and so on, but I was curious if it is okay to expose my mac thru torrents?
    and How do you guys prevent possible danger of downloading stuff thru torrents? :confused::apple:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You're better off downloading apps through legit manners. You can use iAntivirus to scan your downloads for potential trojans, but there's no viruses on Mac to worry about.

3. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

To the best of my knowledge there's only been one major trojan that was disseminated over torrents, I believe it was an iLife pack? Either way if there's going to be another outbreak, it will most likely be shared over some kind of major commercial software torrent (and I'm sure you would never download anything like that :D) If your downloading other legal items you don't need to worry about an "attack" or anything like that happening simply because your running torrents.

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

iAntivirus offers a false sense of security more than anything else. The majority of threats it protects against aren't actually threats.

To the OP: don't download software from any illicit sources and you won't have a problem.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Have any sources to back that up with?

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

If you look at their threat list, you'll see about 20 penetration testing apps there. I've emailed them about it, and their customer rep obviously did not know what he was talking about.

OP:

Wait a few days before downloading an OS X software torrent to see if you hear of a new trojan. Mac AV software should pick up any known trojans. You can also look through the installer package for surprises.