Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
I have bought a new PB 15, and after talking to tech support they suggest I reinstall osx (thought this didnt happen on a mac)
I know how to make security copies of my files (as easy as dragging them to my external HD) but... how do i make a copy of all the info I already input in mac databases such as agenda and i cal?
by the way, the reinstall is because my trackpad at times does not respond. After doing various resets... they say that before i send the machine to their technical support i should try reinstalling.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Go to SuperDuper! website and download a copy. It will allow you to make a completely bootable copy of your system which you'll be able to use to drag images etc back into your system from.

If you don't have enough room to do this, then try copying over your Home directory (that's the one with your Name on the Finder sidebar) into your External drive which is where most of your files (inc your iCal entries) are stored.

Chances are you won't have to do a full erase-reinstall. On the only occasion that Apple Tech support suggested it to me, I was able to do an Archive & Install. This will write over the drivers for your trackpad and System files but should keep all your applications and internet settings etc the same. It's definitely worth trying first.

jotamurray

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
application error

ok. did what you told me and the trackpad seems to go ok. When i start computer i get the following error message: (translated from spanish): Application error. the application "transport monitor" has not been able to open because of an error with a shared library:"8<transport monitor><transport monitor><hotsynchlib.ppc><>

how can i solve this issue. Thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.