Security bug - full excess to any one

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Baletin, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Baletin macrumors member

I'd like to share a very strange and amazing bug which I discovered by chance and almost had some troubles with a colleague.

I work on MBP with the last MacOs and recently connected it to a second monitor via Thunderbolt port. The issue I discovered by chance is this:

When I close the lid without external monitor connected, the system with lock itself and ask for the password when the lid is raised.
    I expected that the MBP will be in the "locked" state when I left for a lunch closing the MBP lid (external monitor connected).

When I came back and raised the lid - the system was UNLOCKED - been in the exact state before I closed the lid. If my colleagues open the lid when I am out, they could see anything on the MBP.

I reproduced this behavior multiple times: be aware - the system will stay open when you close the lid with external monitor connected via thunderbolt.

Could you please try to reproduce the bug on your systems - we need to reproduce it on different machines in order to get it fixed.

Thanks

2. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

If you connect an external monitor (and a keyboard too), closing the macbook will just disable the internal monitor, it won't go to sleep.

3. Baletin thread starter macrumors member

How could I know?? And how can I "switch" disabling system on?

In addition, most of the times the system is locked when I close the lid even if external monitor is connected.

4. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Does it make a difference how the monitors are set up, (mirrored displays vs extended desktop)?

5. Baletin thread starter macrumors member

my second monitor is an extension, I never tried mirroring, thus cannot confirm the issue appears with mirroring settings, but I should say that even I SWITCH OFF the external screen before closing the lid the issue appears - ... if I turned the second (extension) screen on BEFORE opening the lid!

6. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Was just wondering if when in mirror mode the computer ignores the fact you’ve closed the lid as you have the same info on screen two?