security bug, unlock phone without passcode

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by DenverSquare, Oct 27, 2011.

1. DenverSquare macrumors newbie

I just inadvertently stumbled on this bug checking out the new quick camera access feature - I think there is a bug that lets you bypass using the passcode to unlock the phone! Tried a couple ways to see if I could recreate it, and it works every time - as long as the "camera roll" album is empty when you start the process. 1. start with the phone locked. 2. double click home button and click the camera icon 3. take a picture with the volume up button. 4. click the picture thumbnail to see the picture you just took. 5. delete the picture you just took by clicking the trash can and confirming delete. 6. The resulting screen will /say/ phone is locked, but if you click the home button once, you get the main home screen with access to all apps! Can anyone else recreate this?

2. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Nope.

Followed exactly to step 6, where screen with camera logo says "No Photos..." and that iPhone is locked. Hitting Home button takes me directly to the LOCK SCREEN.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This has been brought up ... check your passcode timeout.

4. canucksfan88, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i can confirm this works.
    you have to hit the home button really fast (immediately after you delete the photo or as it is transitioning to the trash). i was able to get to the homescreen with full access. this is with my timeouts set to 1 minute and 5

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Did you wait longer than the timeout before you tried it?

6. silver8ack macrumors regular

There's a fix. Don't use a security code.

I don't see the point of it anyway. My phone is attached to me though so I don't see any need to lock it. It seems to be an annoyance.

7. Manzanas macrumors member

8. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

it only works if your timeout is not set to instant. most people i know have theirs on instant so i dont think this is an issue.

i dont even have a passcode on mine

9. elistan macrumors 6502a

Are you SURE that your phone was prompting for the passcode prior to starting this process? The "Your phone is locked" screen is simply saying that your phone is locked - it doesn't imply that you phone requires a key (ie, passcode) to unlock. Try the process again, but next time make sure your phone is asking for a passcode by swiping the unlock button to the right and seeing what it does.

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

The more I use my iPhone, the more personal info it gets. Since I use a passcode, if I lose it I can have it formatted via iCloud.com before someone could even get in it. On top of that, if someone tries to get in my phone 10 times, the phone formats itself.

The passcode seems like a hassle at first, but now it doesn't even phase me.

11. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

I just tried this too----and it bypassed my lock screen and went to home page--Hmmmm!

Oh and my camera roll is not empty either--has several pictures in there

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Make sure your passcode it set to lock "immediately " rather than 5 minutes.

This has been debunked several times.

13. gentlefury macrumors 68030

This has already been discussed. The screen timeout and the password lock timeout are two different settings, make sure you set your password lock to either immediately or at a shorter timeframe. Also, next time you find something like this, search the forum.

14. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Thanks for nothing Genious---Mine is set to Immediatly and it still does it

----------

There is no Debunk to it!! I can bypass my passcode just like OP says
    Its set to Immediate

15. gentlefury macrumors 68030

obviously its not. You don't have special software.

----------

[​IMG]
    Lockscreen Camera Shortcut

[​IMG]
    Camera App

[​IMG]
    Lockscreen Camera Library

[​IMG]
    Home Button Pressed

[​IMG]
    Autolock Settings

[​IMG]
    Passcode Lock Settings

Notice how they both have unique time limits? By default the passcode lock setting is set higher than the auto lock setting. So you may have auto lock set to 1 min, but your passcode lock could be set to 5 mins.

16. DenverSquare thread starter macrumors newbie

I think gentle fury is right - thanks for explaining it. I guess I was confused by the different time-out times. I mistakenly thought that every time I locked the phone with the power button I had to use the passcode to get back in. But it's only after the passcode lock timeout window. So - question about bug retracted. It's not a bug - it's a feature! :D

17. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Nope Auto lock 1-minute

Passcode set to Immediate, No joke

18. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Jailbreak? That would be the only possible way...unless you somehow got a special OS that nobody else has.