Security bug with lock screen/Siri

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by cristovao, Sep 30, 2013.

1. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

So, I'm sure many of you heard the security bug with iOS 7.0.2 that still exists, in which through some random actions one could gain access to your call logs and contacts without requiring your passcode or, I believe, fingerprint.

It also affects calls using Siri, but my question is this really a bug or is it designed to work this way? If you're using just the passcode, you've got the option of making an emergency call and it allows you to make any call. I'm assuming this is if you need to make emergency calls to local forces rather than the standard 911. I assume it's the same concept with Siri, but does no one see the concern of making unauthorized calls from your phone or that's just the price you pay for having quick access to make emergency calls?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

As far as I can recall, emergency call doesn't (or at least isn't supposed to) allow you to make a call to any number, just some supported emergency numbers.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Emergency Calls from cellular phones work in a special way.

When you dial a number like 1-800-MY-APPLE (800-692-7753) the phone will basically tell the carrier's network that it wants to dial that number. The network will then connect the call.

If you dial an emergency number for the place you're located in, like 911 or 112, then the phone will recognise that it's an emergency number and enter a special mode. In that special mode, the phone will tell any available network that it finds that it wants to place an emergency call. In many parts of the world, carriers will accept emergency calls from people who aren't their customer.

So when you see the emergency call pad on the lock screen, it will only allow you to dial a number that it recognises as an emergency number.

This is also the reason that some phones show "Emergency Calls Only" when they can't get a signal - the phone can try to connect an emergency call using a different carrier's network.

4. cristovao thread starter macrumors 6502a

cristovao

OK, I will have to test this on my 5S when I get it tomorrow because my co-worker was reporting that if he woke his brother's phone up (which has a lock code) and hit the Emergency Call button, he could call whoever he wanted. If that proves to be true, that is a definite bug!