Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
In light of the fact that PowerPC is history, consider the following:

I currently own both a 2.0 G5 Power Mac (second generation., best computer I've EVER owned) as well as one the last iterations of the iBook G4 laptop.

Wondering out loud. . .

Now that Apple is full speed ahead with Intel, would this mean that possible virus/worm/trojan infections would be practically nill with regard to this "older" technology? (security by even more obscurity?)

(Apologies if this has been talked about previously...)

Your thoughts and comments welcome!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There's a flipside: If there was a processor-specific security issue, Apple would be more likely to fix it promptly, or fix it at all, for Intel-based systems. So older systems could in fact be left more vulnerable, even though, as you say, they may be less likely to be targeted.

Fortunately, this is all hypothetical so far.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
SilentPanda said:
Most times malware is an exploit of an OS and not of a processor. So the difference this will make is marginal at best.

This is true in general, although with respect to things like buffer overruns, it was my impression that the processor involved is crucial to understanding how the system responds once the overrun occurs in the OS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.