Security camera software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Metalgator, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Metalgator macrumors newbie

I am currently using a program called Blue Iris to monitor and record several Foscam wireless cameras in my house. Blue Iris is really nice but it only runs on Windows. I can run it on a windows virtual machine on my mac but I'd like to find a native Mac software to run the cameras. Blue Iris also has a iPhone app so I can monitor the cameras from my phone. Does anyone know if any similar type of software for the Mac?

Thanks,
    Burch

2. seismick macrumors member

I use Security Spy, having had no prior experience with Blue Iris. There is a new version out as of last week which is much improved from the previous version, which was also quite good. The latest one is a 64 bit application and as such consumes far fewer resources than before - processor usage has been cut in half on the headless 2012 Mac mini that I run it on, causing the system fan to run more quietly. I have 4 cameras set up for continuous capture and motion detection, with email alerts and optional iOS notifications for the latter. There are at least two third-party apps for iOS that allow for remote access, toggling of notifications, enabling/disabling cameras, viewing recordings, etc. The one I use is Spyglass, and for these functions it is excellent.

3. Metalgator thread starter macrumors newbie

I will have to check it out. It's a bit expensive for more than a few cameras. I believe Blue Iris is $50 for up to 64 cameras. I think Security Spy has a trial version so I can check it out to see if it will work for me.