Security Cameras on a Mac ??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bigmoss, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Bigmoss macrumors newbie

I have security cameras setup so can view my house when I am away and use CPlayer on my Iphone and Ipad does anyone know if there s a software out there that will allow this from a Macbook ? I have googled but have come up with nothing.

Thanks

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I haven't found much of anything, and even getting something to run in Parallels is a chore. I suspect part of the problem is the lame software that runs on some of the security system DVRs/servers. What kind are you using?

Rob

3. Ifti macrumors 68000

Probably better off buying a NAS?
    I have a Synology Ds1511+ and can attach IP cameras directly to it for continuous or motion activated recording. Also viewable live via iPad or iPhone etc.

4. Bigmoss thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a no name Japan system with 4 cameras I bought from one of my suppliers, its works great from my PC and from my Iphone and Ipad I just wanted an option to connect from my Mac

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I have a Q-See and they have some Mac software on their site called PSS. It is supposed to work in X11 but I can't get it going.

I also have network cameras but they really aren't an alternative to the dedicated security setup. If that's all you need there are programs like EvoCam, Perspective, etc. And I can view the Q-See stuff on an iPad or iPhone...but not in OSX.

Rob

6. Bigmoss thread starter macrumors newbie

Do u have a link to the PSS stuff I'll give it a shot

7. thankins macrumors 6502

We use software called SecuritySpy from Bensoftware

We have it in about 5 client sites and it works great -developer responds fast to answer questions and has been very helpful.

The webpage doesn't do the software justice - it is great. And it records in mp4 format so you can access the video feeds from your phone/iPad and they work great

8. Bigmoss thread starter macrumors newbie

I had downloaded that one but could not figure it out did not find it very user friendly so gave up on it

9. thankins macrumors 6502

10. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

11. robgendreau macrumors 68040

EvoCam and SecuritySpy are certainly nice, but they will not help the OP. The problem is that most security systems that you buy (as opposed to network cameras or things you attach to your computer) run off boxes that don't play nice with Macs. They run servers that dish out video, hence they work with all sorts of iPhone/iPad apps designed for them or similar generic security systems. But not with Macs, or browsers on Macs.

12. thankins macrumors 6502

That correct but most of those boxes are connected to the cameras via IP based cameras or a BNC connector. You just yank those connectors out of the hardware and use a video convertor like the Axis 240q that turns into IP based and you are all set

13. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Or buy a dedicated 4 camera system with DVR so you don't need to leave a computer on for half the price.

They aren't IP cameras.

The PSS software is here: http://qsee.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/904

But if you didn't like SecuritySpy, you're not going to like this. It's definitely geeky.