Security: Can I pull my HD out, put it in as a secondary and read it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by detz, Jun 4, 2010.

1. detz macrumors 65816

A friend had his laptop stolen and now I'm paranoid. I have a ton of personal and work stuff on here that if I lost would suck but if someone was smart enough to read it I would be in a lot of trouble. I have the basics on like passwords etc but no encryption so I'm curious to know if I were to take my HD out and add it to another computer as a secondary disk could all the information be read? I'm assuming if so then the only way to stop this would be to encrypt the HD which I'm not really sure I want to do just yet.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it isn't encrypted, yes, all your files can be read. FileVault is simple encryptor which locks your Home folder

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If it's only a handful of files/folders you need protecting look at the built-in encrypted disk image option. if you need more protection, then FileVault offers the only free option I know of. It only protects your home folder as well. There are some full disk encryption options though, but they cost money, such as PGP and Check Point.

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Even without pulling it out of your Mac it can be read using target disk mode and connecting it to another Mac via FireWire.

6. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

My guess though if it's stolen the user will just delete it anyway since they probably don't know what they're doing.

7. UserName macrumors member

You'd be surprised by how much thieves know these days...:p