Security Checks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jadedxsyn, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jadedxsyn macrumors member

Is there a way I can do a virus/spyware scan on my MBP? I've been having a few problems - internet is slow, programs load slower, programs have been freezing.

Will my MBP tell me when there's something wrong or should I be running maintenance checks? If so, how do I do that?

Thank you!

[Excuse my ignorance, I'm a beginner when it comes to all things Mac.]

2. lhotka macrumors regular

With those symptoms, the first thing I'd look at is bad RAM (or not enough of it).

3. kevo0822 macrumors regular

There's not really much I could think to do without sitting with the computer and playing with it for a bit. How old is the computer?

4. jadedxsyn thread starter macrumors member

Not old at all, I purchased it in June. I use it for everyday things - email, chatting, web browsing. I don't game too much - usually only the online game here and there. There are a lot of pictures & music on it though.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

6. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I will second the point that it sounds like you have a lack of RAM in you system, how much RAM do you have and have you considered more RAM?

7. jadedxsyn thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I believe more than 10% is free since I haven't downloaded too much. I have the 15in MBP w/ I think 2GB of RAM.

8. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Regarding virus/spyware, there's none that I know of for OS X.

Maybe this link can help.

I suggest doing #49 Software Update and #1 Repair Disk Permissions first.

You don't need to do all of these, especially if you are not comfortable as a new user.

9. jadedxsyn thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I'll give it a try!

Hopefully, I'll become comfier as a Mac user.. lol, just trying not mess anything up! This forum helps a lot though :D