Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
From reading the latest rumours, it appears that the new iPhone will have the ability to be unlocked using face recognition with quick response times measured in 'millionths of a second' from multiple angles including when the phone is laid flat.

The concern here is that if someone were to take your phone from you (from a friend messing around to a thief with more sinister intentions) all they'd need to do to unlock your phone and get access to your data is roughly aim the front facing camera towards your face.

I read an 'SOS' feature that disables touch ID by pressing the power button 5 times in succession (maybe this will also work with FaceID), but if the phone isn't in your hand this can't be activated.

With TouchID, none of these situations are possible. Has anyone else considered this?

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
I wouldnt worry ... apple always tested before they make

1-they have thousand engerneering working
2-they are big system
3-they are top secure authorize than any other company
4- and of course before they release something they already incase something

Reactions: ABC5S

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
It’ll probably require a passcode to be used by ‘another face’.

If someone takes it, points it at your face, then starts using it, the phone will demand passcode entry. It’ll only stay unlocked via FaceID while the same face is looking at it.

Reactions: ABC5S and fezzzer

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Don't worry about it. Your use case is too obvious for anybody to overlook, let alone a company like Apple.

Reactions: BigDO

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017

If someone takes it, points it at your face, then starts using it, the phone will demand passcode entry. It’ll only stay unlocked via FaceID while the same face is looking at it.

i dont think same face will unlock thru

i believe apple will make it measure diff method that incase sameface match
just like finger print ... no one same as no one

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
These things will have been tested to destruction before releasing functionality. The Apple think-tank will cover all eventualities. The last thing they want to security issues and bad publicity so I am sure they will have tested every scenario possible.
People get paranoid and damn change in functionality without even seeing the product and understanding how it works. Make your mind up after the Keynote and if you are still not sure then don't buy....simples really

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
From reading the latest rumours, it appears that the new iPhone will have the ability to be unlocked using face recognition with quick response times measured in 'millionths of a second' from multiple angles including when the phone is laid flat.

The concern here is that if someone were to take your phone from you (from a friend messing around to a thief with more sinister intentions) all they'd need to do to unlock your phone and get access to your data is roughly aim the front facing camera towards your face.

I read an 'SOS' feature that disables touch ID by pressing the power button 5 times in succession (maybe this will also work with FaceID), but if the phone isn't in your hand this can't be activated.

With TouchID, none of these situations are possible. Has anyone else considered this?
You should email them right away. That probably hasn’t occurred to any of the security, software, or hardware engineers! ;):D:p

Reactions: ABC5S

fezzzer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
You should email them right away. That probably hasn’t occurred to any of the security, software, or hardware engineers! ;):D:p
:D Aha good point, I was just wondering what people's ideas were on how they would overcome this scenario.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
:D Aha good point, I was just wondering what people's ideas were on how they would overcome this scenario.
While I realize that MRF is a public discussion board, I just don’t see how we can speculate when, at this juncture, we haven’t the slightest inclination as to how the software and hardware will be implemented.

Just my .02.

Last edited:
Reactions: Defender2010

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Just like Siri
_________

i remember when new siri came out i try to ask something bad word and Siri told me

( i dont understand what you mean )

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Thi

This is unlikely due to the battery it would take to run the sensor constantly. However, at certain times it will scan again, like if you open the phone from the lock screen or go into certain apps. Etc.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
This is probably the most excited I've been about an Apple product release since I can remember.... Can't wait to see how they implement this and what they do with it.... Very curious to see how its going to work and how they address the issues stated in this thread. All I know is that if this really is meant to replace touch ID then they have to hit it out of the park with this risky move. Forget the headphone thing, removing touch ID now that is courage!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
All very interesting. I wonder if you can use different parts of your body or another object instead of your face? :)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
When you set it up pull a scrunched up weird face for your unlock. Problem solved. There. Easy. Wasn't it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.