Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmorgan76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Titusville, FL
I am new to jailbreaking and was wondering if I should have concerns about my iPhone data/info being more vulnerable to hacking. Should I be concerned? What kinds of mods/apps should I stay away from to keep my iPhone secure?

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I am new to jailbreaking and was wondering if I should have concerns about my iPhone data/info being more vulnerable to hacking. Should I be concerned? What kinds of mods/apps should I stay away from to keep my iPhone secure?

You're fine. If you install OpenSSH or some other SSH tool, make sure you change the default Root password and you'll be alright.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
If a phone is jailbreakable, it means that there remains an (difficult to locate) exploit in the version of iOS, even without the jailbreak.

You only "open" up your system by installing OpenSSH, leaving it enabled at all times, and by not changing the default password.

Just be smart as you would with anything else security wise.

jmorgan76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Titusville, FL
What is OpenSSH?

Just wondering what OpenSSH is? Is that a app? Which password are you guys referring to?
My main reason for jail breaking is to get MyfI in my iPhone and Hulu on my ATV 2.
I'm sure once its jailbroken I'll want to make other mods though :)

I appreciate all your advice....

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Just wondering what OpenSSH is? Is that a app? Which password are you guys referring to?
My main reason for jail breaking is to get MyfI in my iPhone and Hulu on my ATV 2.
I'm sure once its jailbroken I'll want to make other mods though :)

I appreciate all your advice....

It allows you to directly transfer files to and from the iOS filesystem over a network.

Google for more info.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
It allows you to directly transfer files to and from the iOS filesystem over a network.

Google for more info.

Is it an APP? An iOS setting?

Is that enabled by default?

Or is it something you have to go out of your way to enable and/or install?

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas

It is something you have to go out of your way to install. If you want to get into your file system I recommend using iFunBox on your computer! :]

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Install OpenSSH from Cydia.

To access the phone you need an SSH client.

OSX: Cyberduck
WIN: WinSCP

Google for instructions.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA

It allows you to access the files on your iDevice using your computer using a client like CyberDuck. The connection is made via WiFi.

The default password for your iDevice that allows you to access these files is "Alpine". To prevent anyone with a wifi connection within range of your iDevice from potentially accessing your files, you should change the password from the default. Once you close that potential security breach, you can do a lot of customizing by accessing your file directory.

If you don't see a need for this level of access/customization (which it sounds like you don't), just don't install OpenSSH, and your device will be at no more risk than a stock device.

You should be aware that the same level of customization is available without wifi via tools like iFunbox, and to a lesser (but immensely useful degree) iFile (a Cydia app that allows you to access these files directly on your phone without a computer).

My only other advice is to READ A LOT before editing ANY files. Apple makes it hard to get to for a reason, you need to be 100% sure of what you're messing with before you move/delete anything. You can potentially keep your device from functioning if you make changes/remove files/folders that the device needs to work properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.