Security Flaw: iPhone taking screenshots of everything we do?!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rhett7660, Sep 12, 2008.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Read the article here. Yikes..

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/09/hacker-says-sec.html

Very interesting if this is the case.

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Maybe thats why 2.0.0-2.0.2 were so laggy, it was taking screenshots of whatever I am doing :D

I am not going to put on my tin-foil hat this time around, it only enhances the signal, and messes with the reception of my iPhone :D

3. alFR macrumors 68020

Sorry, it has to be said:

"Pics or it didn't happen." :)

4. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ha.....

5. Pared macrumors 65816

6. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

This is a feature, not a bug and I don't see what the big deal is. It's part of the CoreAnimation caching - it's how it manages to get such smooth transitions between views; by caching what is displayed on the other side (for say, flip transitions).

7. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

A full reformat probably wouldn't delete this unless it zeros every bit on the flash memory out and I'm not sure Apple would think to include such a thing in iTunes. As the guy said, the iPhone probably deletes the screenshot but it will still be lurking, just not accessible without special effort and my guess is a reformat may lower the risk but it'll probably still be there.

8. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

However the information on that slide is being stored. What the author is saying, is that information might be able to or can be accessed at a later time for viewing.

9. Pared macrumors 65816

Yes, that's exactly what the full reformat does.

Go to Settings on your device and look for the Reset option.

Erase all will do the job.

10. ebrunn macrumors member

Dont all computers do this? :rolleyes:

11. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

What're these illegal activities that you're all so worried about being caught doing? So it takes a screenshot. It's not uploaded to Apple or anything.

If someone steals your phone, you've got bigger things to worry about then them digging up pictures of the texts you've sent to your friends.

12. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

What if it doesn't have to deal with illegal stuff? Just the fact it is taking a picture of alot of things you are doing that can be retrieved at a later date that is all.

13. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I'm not concerned with illegal activities. But, if I delete an email or contact, I'd like to know that it's really deleted, not available to be recovered later.

14. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

It's just a temporary image that is likely mapped to a screen-shaped polygon for the hardware to scale. I'm trying to think of anything that's been displayed on my iPhone that could be damaging to me should it fall into the wrong hands and I'm coming up blank.

As was said above, if someone has gained access to this cached image on your iPhone, you have much more pressing problems than the image itself.

This just sounds like some hacker making a name for himself by finding that some piece of the sky may be falling. It's a non-issue that's probably only getting press because it helps poke holes in the "iPhone is perfect" myth.

15. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Firstly, just don't plan a murder using your iPhone (don't do it at all, but you get my point). It's not like your girlfriend is going to accidentally find these files and realise that you're cheating on her.

Should I complain to Apple that Safari saves a copy of the web page that I am viewing? Even if it didn't take a screenshot, deleting a text would still leave the same amount of data there to be recovered later, same with an email. Do you think it manages to transmit an email without actually saving it to the memory?

It's not like these files will last a long time, the parts of the drive will be written over before long and they will be lost forever.

16. ajthomason macrumors 6502

It does in 2.0 onwards (I believe), that is why erasing the device (from the iPhone itself) takes 2 hours to do - deleting the files without writing 0s to to the drive would no way take that long, not even to reinstall the OS.