Security for Data Theft

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JohnnyBgood, Nov 24, 2011.

1. JohnnyBgood macrumors member

Hi,

I would like to protect my mac mini data (running 10.4) in case someone breaks into my house and steals it. How can I make it so they cannot log on or access my data?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Always log out when leaving the machine unattended and use a strong password for logging on.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you're really paranoid, you can encrypt your hard drive. As well as do what the other person said.

4. JohnnyBgood, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

JohnnyBgood thread starter macrumors member

Is a password enough to keep a thief from accessing my data?

Their was an attempted break-in at my house last week, fortunately we were home, so nothing happened. It got me to thinking about what a thief would do with my mac if they stole it, and how easy it would be for them access my data. I do use a password, though I have no idea how much protection that gives me.

5. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not, on its own. An OS X password can be reset in about 5 minutes with a system disk.

I would recommend not keeping things that are that sensitive on your computer.

6. JohnnyBgood thread starter macrumors member

Is their a way to keep a thief from gaining access to my computer?

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, keep your doors locked.

Seriously, if someone wants your computer, or whatever, bad enough, they'll get it.

8. JohnnyBgood thread starter macrumors member

I mean that if it is stolen, is their a way to prevent a thief from gaining access to my data and internet passwords?

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

As mentioned already above, log off when you're not using it, use a strong password and encrypt your hard drive.

As long as your user password is strong, you'll have nothing to worry about if it gets stolen.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it ever gets to that point you're going to have a lot bigger problems than your data/internet passwords.

11. JohnnyBgood thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info.

I found information about how to create a firmware password using the system disk here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352

Since this was not mentioned, I am wondering if it is a good idea or bad idea?

I also found the Eikon fingerprint reader, ideally coupled with 1pass password manager. Any opinions on that (and if it will work with 10.4)?

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Just don't ever forget that password or you're going to be really sorry. Seriously.