Security Forums?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jasnw, Feb 17, 2015.

1. jasnw macrumors 6502

Isn't it about time for top-level security forums, one for OS X and another for iOS? Issues relating to security show up all over the place on the forum, and it would be nice if they were all in one (or two) places.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Security issues related to OS X and iOS belong in the OS X and iOS forums. I don't see any advantage in creating another subforum for a topic that doesn't represent a significant percentage of forum threads. It's hard enough to get people to post in the right forums, as it is.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While OS X and iOS certainly share a common ground insofar as iOS came from OS X. The security issues, and patches are very different between the two. Plus I don't think there's enough critical mass to justify a new forum dedicated to security. It would have the occasional "Do I have a virus" thread, and from time to time a discussion on the latest vulnerability on OS X or iOS.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This was certainly a huge issue for me when I still had Windows computers; the amount of spam, viruses, malware and other unwelcome passengers in my system seemed to grow exponentially - and this, despite the fact that I had actually bought (rather than downloaded 'free' versions of) the most robust protections that were available at the time.

These security issues, - along with excellent customer service, and elegant design, plus the now well-known 'halo' effect from having purchased an iPod - were what persuaded me to switch to Apple in the first place, a move I had contemplated for around a year before I finally made the switch.

However, do you think that 'security' issues are simply related to - or, should I ask, confined to - virus attacks, or is there a wider discussion to be had on the topic, one that a suitably small sub-forum might make room for?

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/

This is the security section of linuxquestions, there tends to be good information on there from the various sysadmins and such. I do think a security section would be beneficial however it'd more technical and less interesting to read.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Another real problem with the idea of a security forum is that most of threads that are started with topics like "Does my Mac have a virus?" or "My Mac was hacked!" have nothing to do with security or malware. People would be posting such threads in the security forum, when their real issue is that they simply encountered a pop-up ad on a website, or their email account was spoofed or something else happened on their computer that they didn't expect or don't understand.

The security forum would be filled with such threads, creating more work for moderators to move them to another forum and change the thread titles. It's tough enough to keep up with all the threads posted in the wrong forums with the wrong titles, without adding more complexity to the mix.