Security implications External HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SOLLERBOY, Mar 4, 2012.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi, Just a quick question. I have a company digitising some 8mm film for me and transferring it to an external HDD I provided. I have no reason to worry about the company but I just want to know if I need to run a scan on the drive or anything so I don't harbour windows viruses or anything like that? (I don't think there is any risk but I have my macs locked down like fort Knox, so I don't want anything slipping through) Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you want to be sure, that there are no Windows viruses or other Windows malware on the external HDD (if it is using NTFS, exFAT or FAT32 as format/file system), you could use ClamXav to do so.

There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios