Security in ios 7 bad for Buisness ?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by byke, Oct 1, 2013.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Given all the revelations of security issues, bugs and exploits.
    I wondered if IOS 7 is limiting itself from the Buisness sector?

Security has been an important selling point for Apple devices in the past (prior to the NSA revelations).

And while many people are happy with the new OS, I can't help but wonder if there is a unhappy side in regards to security.

2. oplix Suspended

oplix

Absolutely. If there is one thing Apple has vs Android is the solid security. iOS7 is 1 step forward, 5 steps back.

3. Dented macrumors 6502a

What are all these many security exploits and weaknesses? As far as I knew there was one lock screen bug (which seems to be a tradition with every new IOS release) now fixed with 7.0.2 and... What?

4. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

It starts with the most simple and stupid thing: The nutty afterglow, when typing in the unlock code :-D

5. Dented macrumors 6502a

You.. are joking right? Anyone with a good enough view to see that already saw where your fingers went!

6. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

And this is a good reason for making spying more easy by implementing a pointless gimmick? It must be you, who is joking.

7. wepiii macrumors 6502

There is already another lock spring exploit on 7.0.2

8. Dented macrumors 6502a

Tradition! There were at least two or three in succession for 6 when it was new too. Hardly a reason to write 7 off for business.

9. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

You have to let your finger hover over each button after you've pressed it until the glow disappears. Obviously you're not using the device correctly! :p:rolleyes:

Seriously though, this is still better than the Android unlock pattern and every platform will have some security issues.

Just MHO, but even if some businesses shy away from the iPhone because of iOS 7, I doubt it would be enough to make Apple even notice. Anecdotally, my wife's company is about to switch over from Blackberries to iPhones and iOS 7 has not changed their plans at all.

10. Dented macrumors 6502a

Seriously? It's clearly not pointless as it gives you, the actual user, visual feedback that you've hit the right key. This is fairly important when your data is at stake (if you have wipe enabled). I'm sure previous versions had something similar, but it wasn't as pretty so you probably didn't notice it.

Again, if someone else can see that feedback and is paying that much attention THEY CAN ALREADY SEE YOUR FINGERS. If you're that concerned about being overlooked, don't be overlooked!

11. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Hell with an afterglow, I just want to be able to see the keyboard characters! Security's so good it makes it hard for even ME to type in the passcode.
    [​IMG]

12. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

I dont know if I buy that reason.
    Since an update is meant to be just that, and not a step back.

13. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

Thats probably the worst justification I've ever read to be honest.

14. Dented macrumors 6502a

6 was an update to 5, and appeared to have more problems to begin with - or perhaps, like iOS 7, it was just subject to more scrutiny? The point is, the bugs got fixed and will be again, that what matters to enterprise.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Not really an issue unless you aren't paying attention to who is around you when you type it in.

If you are just letting folks hang over your shoulder etc then that's your fault, not Apple

16. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Any serious buisness that is so paranoid they worry somone can see a button glow will probably upgrase to 5S and just use touch ID

Also every operatin systems has a few issues when released into the open and they get fixed especially iOS. This is what attracts business.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I need to go read up on the couple of things that affect iOS 7.x. I wasn't aware of anything that allowed complete unfettered access to all apps on the device. Businesses generally aren't worried about pictures.

Any company that allows a four digit numeric PIN isn't serious about security so the afterglow won't bother them.

18. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

A person, who is not able to hit the right key in the right order within ten attempts does have terribly bad eyesight. But such people became locked out by iOS 7's visual design, anyway.

----------

And if you could try to chop trees with your car, then it is a reason for leaving the brakes out?
    There is no excuse for nutty afterglow's existence. This is the point. Also, I demand an option, to stop this behavior by using the options menu.

19. hyhybt macrumors member

The passcode keys on my 6.1.3-running iPod light up blue as they're touched. And they're rectangular, so if anything, more of the light would show.

20. Dented macrumors 6502a

The only sensible part of your post, and I've still no idea what you're talking about. Like the previous poster said, the buttons lit up in 6 and below too, so get over it!

21. Tysknaden macrumors regular

Tysknaden

I'd prefer an option to stop such gimmicks from the options menu :)
    But I am beginning to understand, that for having control of an iOS device, one does have to jailbreak.