Security issue on wireless printing with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lizzynyc, Jun 1, 2009.

1. lizzynyc macrumors newbie

Hello there,
    About an hour ago I was just sitting in my apartment working, when suddenly my printer starts printing pages. Some road directions to a place I've never heard of. Someone in my building must somehow have gotten access to my printer, right?
    My printer is hooked up as a USB printer to my Time Capsule, through which I've made a wireless network. I've just spent an hour making sure my Time Capsule and its network are WPA2 password protected, and searching forums for similar issues.
    Both the Time capsule and my network were password protected, though I changed the passwords again for good measure, and made the network invisible.
    No one could access my printer without also having access to my network, correct? (it's not a wireless printer, it's an older HP deskjet).
    Any ideas on how this may have happened, or more important, how to make sure it doesn't happen again?
    Am I missing some security step
    I do notice that when I go into the Airport utility, I can see other people's devices-- some other Airport and base station. Is this normal? Is it part of the issue?

Thank you so much for any help with this.

2. Yeldarb macrumors newbie

This same thing just happened to me (found this in a Google search). Anyone know what could cause it?

I have WPA/WPA2 Personal encryption on with a strong password. I also have a MAC filter enabled. This leads me to believe that they are coming in through the Ethernet :eek:

But I have the checkbox for "Share printers over the Internet using Bonjour" disabled. The only box checked is "Share printers over WAN"

Any ideas?

3. sab150 macrumors regular

this doesnt sound to pretty guys! ..imagine the fun you could have with this though! ha

4. Yeldarb macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm wondering if maybe it could be a security vulnerability?

In any case I seem to have "fixed" it by hooking my printer up to my Airport Express that I was previously using exclusively for AirTunes. I'm a tad concerned though that if the printer was being inadvertently shared then the files on the HDD in the Time Capsule may be accessible from the outside as well.

Not sure how I would check on this though.. those are at least password protected but providing an interface to the outside world doesn't seem like a smart idea.

Edit: I guess I actually don't know if that fixed the printer; all I know is that it hasn't been printed on since I switched where it was connected to.

5. sab150 macrumors regular

best idea would be to get a friend with a laptop to come around and have a look to see what is actually accessible to other users.. time capsule seems pretty secure, maybe a problem with windows bonjour thingy?

6. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

WAN means wide area network = the internet! That should be UN-checked.

7. Yeldarb macrumors newbie

Ah, I was thinking it meant Wireless Access Network. I'll give that a go! Thanks

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This.